My guest on this podcast episode is master acting coach, and talent manager, Marnie Cooper. This is Marnie’s second time on the podcast, and we dive deep into some excellent acting advice; I recommend you go back and listen to her first episode as well, which is Episode 72.
Marnie has been teaching acting, and coaching clients for over 25 years, and works with kids, teens, and adults. She has worked with Mila Kunis, America Ferrera, Miley Cyrus, Olivia Holt, Jennette McCurdy, Danielle Panabaker, Taylor Momsen, Paul Dano, Brenda Song, Ashley Argota, Ella Anderson, Chris Richards, Chandler Kinney, Ariana Greenblatt, and many more.
She teaches beginner through master classes for ages 5-21, as well as private coaching in her studio in Studio City, California. Marnie also does on-set coaching, and works with actors via Skype and Facetime all over the world. She is the author of Teaching Kids to Act for Film and Television.
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “If you want a great acting class, take a psychology class.”
- “I think once we know more who WE are, we can then explore who OTHER people are.”
- “If you don’t know how to be in the moment in life, how are you going to know how to be in the moment in acting?”
- “You can’t say your words if you don’t understand them.”
- “If I could, I would have people meditate before they start their scenes.”
- “First you’re the detective, and then you’re the artist.”
- “It’s a great business, but it’s not for everybody.”
- “Learn about other people.”
- “The learning never ends.”
Follow Marnie Here:
Check out Marnie’s Summer Intensive HERE:
Buy her book on Amazon here:
So much of what Marnie talks about on this episode is about the importance of research for an actor as they develop a character… research is equally important when approaching an acting career. Understanding how the industry does and doesn’t work is critical to making good choices that will support your best chance of success.
If you could use a little support, or feel stuck in getting your acting career going (or your child’s acting career), book a consultation session with me online or in person in LA. In just 60 or 90 minutes, we can save you months or years of time, and thousands of dollars. One conversation can make all the difference.