My guest on this episode of the Hometown to Hollywood podcast is actress and singer Kira Kosarin.
Kira is best known for her role as Phoebe Thunderman in in The Thundermans, as well as roles in Light as a Feather, Good Trouble, All About the Washingtons, Knight Squad, School of Rock, Henry Danger, One Crazy Cruise, and more. Her EP Songbird was released in July of 2020. Look for her in the upcoming movie, Supercool.
We discuss her experience as a young actress and singer arriving in LA at the age of thirteen, growing up in the public eye, juggling both music and acting, audition advice, the importance of training, what she believe is important for success, and much more. Join us!
Listen to the first 10 minutes here for free, or become a Friend of the Podcast for access to the full interview, as well as access to the entire collection of over 100 other inspiring and educational episodes designed to help you succeed in the entertainment industry.
It’s easy! In your browser bar, go to https://hometowntohollywood.supportingcast.fm/ and for just $5 a month—about the price of latte– become a member.
Your support allows me to continue to do the work that supports you, and the dreams of your child, or even your own dreams. Thank you!
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “We decided to come here for 6 weeks to see what would happen… and I never went home!”
- “Once you’re on set, you’re expected to know what you’re doing.”
- “Gather souls in your life who are kind & empathetic & working toward the same goals as you.”
- “When you feel those feelings of adrenaline and nerves, just make the conscious decision to interpret that as excitement.”
- “I auditioned for 2 ½ years before I booked The Thundermans.”
- “Every audition, your goal is to go in, do something you’re proud of, and try to make a fan in the room.”
- “Each individual audition is its own victory.”
- “If the casting director gives you a redirect, take that as a huge compliment.”
- “Comparison is just a recipe for disaster, self-hatred, & discouragement… it’s just not helpful.”
- “I think true self-care is important for success, and I don’t mean bubble baths & candles… but getting sleep, drinking water, working out, eating well.”
- “Having hobbies outside of the business is really important.”
- “Work really hard, and rest really hard.”
- “Be prepared to have a survival job that you like.”
- “Approach everything in this business the way you’d approach a school project you want to get an ‘A’ on.”
Follow Kira HERE:
And stream her new single, Songbird!
Kira’s story that it took 2 1/2 years of auditioning before she essentially booked her first role (which was a series regular role!) is a great reminder that success in this industry takes time, patience, and perseverance. Yes– sometimes an actor comes to LA and books the first thing they go out for– but those stories are the exception, not the rule.
If you’d like help increasing your odds of success, invest in a consultation with me. In a single conversation, we can save you precious time– and money. The average cost of living in LA is $5,000/month… even 2 months saved could be $10k saved.