Hometown to Hollywood’s final podcast of 2017 is an encore presentation of our most popular episode, an intimate conversation with actor and singer Dove Cameron.
Dove is best known for playing lead roles in Liv and Maddie, Disney Descendants and Descendants 2, Hairspray Live, Cloud Nine, Barely Lethal, and much more. She played Sophie in Mamma Mia at the Hollywood Bowl this past summer, and has a recurring role in Marvel’s Agents of Shield in 2018. Dove is also my daughter!
Listen in as Dove shares in her longest and most intimate interview:
- Her inspirations
- Her influences
- Her approach to a character
- Audition advice
- Advice for young people who want to be in entertainment
Because this is an encore episode from 2016, you will hear a few references to things that are out of date, but this is for the most part a very timeless interview.
Become a member!
Friends of Hometown to Hollywood get the full version of the interview, plus complete access to my 100+ episode archive—sign up here. (If you’re already a Friend, thanks for your support! Find the latest episode and your podcast feed here.)
“Anybody can, and should, take voice lessons.”
“The practice of getting into the mind of someone who’s not you… it makes you much more empathetic, and sympathetic, and thoughtful.”
Some of my favorite quotes:
- “My biggest measure of success: when I walk away from a project and people speak well of me, and want to work with me again.”
- “I basically sat home and watched movie after movie, and studied the people I respected.”
- “I wanted the normalcy… but it didn’t fit in with the other life that I wanted more.”
- “There are so many kids out there that are special and different and they get left out, and they get bullied, and they become the most incredible adults… I just want you to know… it’s going to be OK.”
- “You better believe I don’t forget I’m living out my childhood dream.”
- “Stay close to your family, know who your friends are, and trust your gut.”
- “Just do as much as you can as best as you can for as long as you can, and you’ll succeed.”
- “Don’t take yourself too seriously.” Click To Tweet
You can find Dove here:
The link to the ONLY legitimate Disney open Casting Calls we referenced is here:
I learned so much (and continue to learn so much!) through helping my daughter Dove get her start and grow in the industry that I not only wrote a book to help other parents (The Hollywood Parents Guide is available on Amazon) but I also consult with other parents one-on-one to answer their specific questions and map out a strategy for success.
An hour with me on Skype can make an incredible difference, saving you serious time and money. If you want 2018 to be the year that your kid gets some traction toward their dream, book a session with me here! I look forward to working with you.
Did you enjoy this episode? Share it! Sharing is sweet 🙂