My guest on this episode of the Hometown to Hollywood is Los Angeles-based Singing Coach Claire Hosterman.
Claire Hosterman has studied vocal technique for over a dozen years, in Seattle, New York, Paris, and Los Angeles. She teaches via Skype and in her studio in Los Angeles, California, and provides techniques for a healthy singing voice able to navigate all styles of singing (Pop, Rock, Musical Theatre, R&B, Jazz, and Opera).
Claire works with a full range of singers— from people who have never sung before, to singers that Hollywood agents and studios send to her for training. She also works with singers directly in recording studios, helping to fine-tune them between takes of a song, to translate producers’ visions to the vocal artists.
Claire teaches students from all over the world, and her clients include performers in Broadway touring shows, actors of all ages, as well as just people who want to be able to sing better!
Claire is also my oldest daughter. 🙂
In this interview, the vocal coach shares her approach to singing, some approaches to different genres, what students can do to accelerate their learning, advice for vocal auditions, and much more.
Become a member!
Friends of Hometown to Hollywood get the full version of the interview, plus complete access to my 100+ episode archive—sign up here. (If you’re already a Friend, thanks for your support! Find the latest episode and your podcast feed here.)
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “The way you approach singing is the way you approach your life.”
- “As long as you have good internet, you can take voice lessons with me from anywhere.”
- “You’ve got to put in the time and the work, like with anything else.”
- “You need to aim the sound into pockets of the face.”
- On technique and practice: “Your brain is going to understand it much faster than your body.”
- “I work with singers of all ages, including with a lot of young adults and professionals.”
- “When you just jump in and start singing, it’s never as hard as you think.”
- “There’s a fine line between fear and excitement.”
- “Technique is pure science. If you do the work, you’ll get the result.”
You can find Claire Hosterman here:
Claire’s story illustrates that with the right kind of help, anyone can create incredible results. With singing, coaching is critical to help you learn how to hit notes while preserving the health of your voice. With an acting career, coaching is critical to help you make the right choices, and avoid paths that could cost you years of time and possibly your well being. Need a little help getting your acting career off the ground, or unstuck? A single consultation with me can get you moving in the right direction and give you an action plan, significantly increasing your odds of success. I work with parents of young actors as well as young adult actors. Check out my Consultation page and sign up for a session today, before any more time goes by!