This encore episode of Hometown to Hollywood is dedicated to our beloved Cameron Boyce, who passed away this week at the age of twenty. I can think of no better way to honor him than by sharing his own words.
Cameron’s interview was originally released in two parts because it went so long… as with everything he did, Cameron was generous with his time and energy. He was committed to sharing his experience honestly and thoughtfully, in an effort to help and inspire people. This encore episode brings both parts back into one single conversation.
Cameron’s beautiful heart and mind left a lasting mark on everyone who was lucky enough to know him personally, as we did, as well as millions more who were touched by his work.
I remember being struck at the time by something he said in our conversation: “My ‘Butterfly Effect’ is really broad.” Even at the age of 18, Cameron was deeply aware of the impact he had on the world, and he took that responsibility and privilege seriously.
It is my hope that this interview—which may be the longest one he recorded—brings some comfort and joy to his family, his friends, and the many people whose lives he touched. And that we can amplify Cameron’s “Butterfly Effect” just a little bit more.
Become a member!
Friends of Hometown to Hollywood get the full version of the interview, plus complete access to my 100+ episode archive—sign up here. (If you’re already a Friend, thanks for your support! Find the latest episode and your podcast feed here.)
Some of my favorite quotes from our conversation:
- “When all the stars align, it’s really special.”
- “To get those 6 projects, you have to do 600 auditions.”
- “Throw in a little bit of personality. Sprinkle it on.”
- “You should always go with your gut.”
- “Dancers are some of the best people to be around.”
- “I’ve never gotten used to the impact I have on people.”
- “If you’re passionate about becoming famous? Not a good deal.”
- “Stay persistent. Because it doesn’t come overnight.”
- “When you are right for a character and role, it’ll happen.”
- “Trust the process.”
- “When you lose your self, you lose everything, so be yourself.”
- “Parents really are everything.”
- “Whatever it is that you’re doing in life, just make sure you’re true to yourself. That’s the most important thing.”
- “My ‘Butterfly Effect’ is really broad.”
Cameron, thank you for sharing your light with us.